Tuesday 30 July 2019

Endangered Mammal Of India


There can hardly be any greater contrast to the recent wilderness tour that took place in India- an inspiring journey that brought me closer to the unique wildlife  throbbing in my homeland, India. Residing in the capital city of Delhi, I chose the world's largest nexus of rails- The Indian Railways as my mode of transport to kickstart this incredible adventure. It is said that only a train journey could reveal to you the real India- an India that is home to diverse landscapes, old-styled bungalows, local lifestyle, and thousands of humble villages attached with vast arable lands that are putting a significant share in elevating our agricultural sector.

After reaching Bhavnagar during my unique wildlife tours I checked into a hotel kept my luggage and immediately headed for the afternoon safari at Velavadar National Park. Being the only tropical grassland deemed as a national park, it was my visit to a grassland forest. As soon as I entered the park I was exposed to the vast beds of golden grass swaying back and forth as if dancing to the beat of a windy afternoon. The serpentine roads laced by the undergrowth lead me to the roosting point of various birding colonies including Rufous-tailed Lark, Greater Short-toed Lark, Ashy-crowned Sparrow Lark, Black-crowned Sparrow Lark, Indian Bushlark, Singing Bushlark, Crested Lark, Painted Francolin, Grey Francolin, Desert Wheatear, Variable Wheatear, Chestnut Bellied Sandgrouse, Spotted Sandgrouse, Painted Sandgrouse, Saras Crane, and Peregrine Falcon.



The park also serves as the last habitat for the critically endangered Lesser Floricans which I did not get the fortune to sight because of their extremely shy nature- mostly hiding amid tall clumps of grasses. Although while traversing through the park I chanced upon exploring different shades of nature. If Short-towed Owl was crossing swords with a snake, the little Fawn was sprinting in the air with sheer joy but it was the Adult male blackbuck running alongside our car with all his might that took my breath away.


 The incident was one of its kind that has left a lasting experience on my mind. Next day I headed towards Gir National Park- the last Bastian of Asiatic Lions, it was here I unveiled the secret world tribes. Because my jeep safari which was scheduled for the following morning I got the opportunity to enjoy the energetic Dhamal tribe performed by the Siddi tribe. Just like Asiatic Lions who share a unique relationship with their cousins in Africa, even the Siddi Tribe has its roots in Africa- it clearly shows how the wilderness and landscape of Saurashtra and Africa are so similar. With the break of dawn, I jumped into my jeep which was standing in front of Gir Birding Lodge carrying the latest camera Sony A77II DSLR. The park is an amalgamation of teak forest and vast savannahs. As I cruised through its thick foliage, the undisturbed abode of several species started unfolding. 


My eyes were not only glued at the camouflage-style of Spotted Owlet, but I also got a closer view of the endangered Marsh Mugger Crocodile, Indian Star Tortoise, and Indian Flap shell Turtle. I also came across the vulnerable Indian Pangolin. Gir National Park has been a protective shield to the most trafficked mammal on this planet- the Indian Pangolin. Don't go by their small size, they are the victim of illegal poaching- their beautiful scales are mostly exploited for Chinese medicine and luxury wood furniture in Vietnam. Finally, the most awaited moment arrived when I became witness to the royal gait of the majestic Asiatic Lion. From Sasan Gir, I made my way to Rann of Kutch- A place that is feted as the moon on earth for bewitching tourists for its celestial like landscape. However, not many people know this but the place is also regarded as the last habitat of Asiatic Wild Ass. Running at a speed of 50km per hour they are one of the most agile species living on this planet. Watching them sprint in this vast landscape not only enhanced the entire surrounding but was also added as a unique experience in my wilderness diary. To explore the turf of Bengal Tigers as I moved towards the dry deciduous forest of Pench National Park, and Tadoba National Park. While in Pench I crossed paths with Dhole(Indian Dog), Wild Boar, Chital, Jackal, Striped Hyena, and Jungle Cat, in Tadoba National Park I got the mesmerizing sight of Maya fondly known as the 'Queen of Tdoba' who was sauntering the grassland with the might of a predator and a heart of a mother along with her three cubs- a spectacle that perched in my memory forever. 




Kaziranga National Park was the final destination of this profusely overwhelming journey. Set around the riverine topography, Kaziranga National Park is world-renowned for being one of the last footholds of the critically endangered 'One-horned Rhinos. As I began penetrating the forest I realized that the park is not only a safe abode for the rhinos but equally guarded the habitat of Water Buffalos, Asian Elephants, Great Hornbill, Blyth's Kingfisher and Bengal Tigers. Although the place is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site for hosting two-thirds of the world's rhinoceroses, one should be very lucky to sight them in this dense forest. My confrontation with One-horned Rhinos was when I was zooming my eyes camera to photograph the Capped Langur when it was overshadowed by the thick-greyish skin of the One-horned Rhino who was busy foraging in the region with his tiny tot, and this was the culmination of my Endangered Mammals of India Tour.
This tour makes one realize how the diversity of India is not only limited to its people and culture, it is very well seen in its unique wildlife throbbing in its glorious land, living an unperturbed life across the length and breadth of the country.



Phone: +918010450000
Email: info@asianadventures.in
https://linktr.ee/aatoursandlodges

No comments:

Post a Comment