Monday 27 May 2019

Andaman and South India Birding and Wildlife Tour







Lush green hills, strings of coconut and palm trees, spicy cuisine, ancient temples, turquoise beaches, men wearing white lungis, women adorned with jasmine flowers are some of the few things that engulfs the mind when one thinks of South India. However, my recent South India Tour made me tap into the world unsullied world of birds and mammals. Carrying my new Nikon 7200 on my lap with a dream of spotting and photographing many unique winged species, I moved towards my first destination the Andaman.




The archipelago of 300 islands not only recounts the great sacrifices of our freedom fighters, it is also one of the few places left on this planet where the mystical heritage of tribe is still thriving and of course the adventure of water sports that has attracted tourists from all parts of the world just to indulge in Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Game Fishing, etc. I chose to stay in Chidiya Tapu - the isle of birds nestled in the dense thickets and uncrowded beaches of the south. My day would begin with the gleeful sounds of Blue-tailed Bee-eaters which could be easily sighted in front of my forest facing windows of Wild Grass Resort. It was always an indication to take out the camera and follow the small cues left by these beautiful winged species. Sometimes these unforeseen trails would open the doorway to a virgin jungle and sometimes it would take me to the coasts of wide and untouched beaches.



 During my two days stay over here I seized the opportunity to photograph some of the rarest and endemic species in the precinct including Andaman Pigeon, Andaman Teal, Andaman Woodpecker, Andaman Scops Owl, Crested Serpent Eagle, Brown Shrike, Collared Kingfisher, Ruddy Kingfisher, White-throated Kingfisher, and Andaman Bulbul. After having my last drink under the captivating sunset of Chidiya Tapu. I packed to my bags for the next leg of the journey that concentrates on the verdant hills and forest reserve of Western Ghats. I took off from Port Blair and landed in the glorious kingdom of Mysore.



The place is dotted with palatial edifices each of which beautiful reflects the laudable past of South India. However, as birding and wildlife was my area of interest I headed start away to Nagarhole National Park. Stretching from the foothills of Western Ghats to Brahamagir Hills, the dense thickets of the park have a become a dwelling place for many gorgeous species. During my morning safari, I sighted the train of elephants who were moving down south. The entire region was reverberating with the sounds of Blue-winged parakeet and White-bellied treepie.




As I moved a little further I was crossed by Russel's wiper to the other side of the forest, I wanted to trail his path but my attention was diverted by the alarming calls of gaurs who were some meters away from my current position. I immediately sensed the presence of some predator nearby, I was expecting a tiger or a leopard to come of the vast grassland but I was flabbergasted by the presence of a Black Panther who was leisurely sitting up in the tree. His debonaire appearance fixated my eyes for a while before the driver moved the car to another direction.



That night I was sitting on my armchair going through all photos of birds and mammals taken during the trip. Next day I headed towards Mudumalai National Park. Flanked between Karnataka and Kerala, the park is one of the significant elephant corridors of India. While crossing path some of the spectacular birds including Black and Orange Flycatcher, Malabar Tragopan, Malabar Grey Hornbill, Painted Spurfowl, Streaked-throated Woodpecker, and  Chestnut-headed Bee Eater, I became a spectator to one of nature's most amusing acts.




As I was photographing the Giant Malabar Squirrel my eyes caught the attention of the Great Serpent Eagle crossing swords with a snake the sight was so startling that I couldn't take off my eyes to capture this grand moment in my camera. Next day I headed towards Kerala- God's own country, but for me, the place will always remain an incubator for budding ornithologists and birders who wish to explore its diverse avifauna.




My thrilling journey in Thattekad National Park kickstarted with a magnificent sight of two Indian Pittas foraging in the region oblivious to my presence followed by the appearance of the beautiful Orange-headed Thrush, Ceylon Frogmouth, Grey-fronted Green Pigeon, Mountain Hawk Eagle, White-rumped spinetail, Red Spurfowl, Brown-cheeked fulvetta, Brown-backed Needletail, and Dark-fronted babbler. It is extremely commendable to see how the diverse variety of birds species is harboring in a 25.16 km² area. Perhaps that's why Salim Ali always describe this sanctuary as the richest bird habitat in peninsular India.




Laden with wonderful photos and lasting memories my wilderness South India Tour came to an amazing end.

Phone: +918010450000
Email: info@asianadventures.in
https://linktr.ee/aatoursandlodges

No comments:

Post a Comment