Thursday 20 June 2019

A random trip that ended up being the most memorable journey of my life!





Being a wildlife enthusiast, it was uncanny from my end to not have visited Corbett National Park- A wilderness destination which was yet to be ticked from my bucket list. So when the long weekend was yet to be ticked from my bucket list. So when the long weekend was not far away I was resolved to explore the oldest and largest Wildlife Sanctuary of India. From the good reviews and nice photos that I gathered from Trip-advisor and google review, I decided to book my three nights stay at Tiger Camp, a nice eco-resort situated on the banks of river Kosi.




 It took me approximately six hours drive to reach the place. By the time I checked-in the resort the dusk was falling rapidly, I freshened up and had a relaxing time at the balcony of my river facing cottage. The sound of gurgling water, soft breeze gently moving the trees, the serpentine flow of river mixing in the dense thickets of the jungle, it seemed everything was perfectly placed for a poet's muse. The cacophony sounds coming from the window was enough to wake me up for my early morning safari. With the brand of new DSLR in my hand, I was seated with four unknown but enthusiastic faces sharing the same level of excitement that I was carrying as we entered the turf of Bengal Tigers. The safari was kickstarted and we headed towards uncovering the Bijrani zone- one of the core zones of Corbett National Park.



The region was an amalgamation of the large beds of grasslands and dense thickets of trees. The riots of colors invoked by the colorful plumage of birds fixated my eyes completely. Not everyday one can witness to such a wide spectrum of birdlife. Grey Hornbill, Maroon Orioles, Brown Dipper, Crested Hawk Eagle, Common Kingfisher, Chestnut-headed Bee-eater, Blue-tailed Bee-eater, Rufous Turtle Dove are just a few names filling my camera with their dazzling images. We were moving smoothly when a sudden jerk stopped our car what we saw next was a wilderness marvel to spectate at- a herd of elephants was crossing our path.



Looking at the mere sight brought me the air of excitement and the tears of sorrow. Because although I was enjoying my proximity with these incredible mammals, deep down in my heart I was experiencing their pain of habitation loss and the constant threat of remaining under the poacher's radar for the possession of their ivory. It is one of those moments when my mind gets overshadowed by the dark side of jungle and I am powerless to do something for these vulnerable species.


 The morning safari came to an end, we returned to our resort. After resting for a while post lunch, we were all set to explore Dhikala region- yet another core zone of Corbett National Park. The morning safari came to an end, we returned to our resort. After resting for a while post lunch I was all set to explore Jhirna - yet another core zone of Corbett Park. As we were navigating through the vast meadows, we came across a group of spotted deer grazing, I was busy taking their photographs when our naturalist alerted us feeling the presence of a predator nearby.




Suddenly we saw two juvenile tigers coming out from the large clumps of grasses pouncing at one of the Spotted Deer. Under the garb of two felines and an adult deer, it was a fight between amateur and expert players where the success chose to take the side of the experienced one which in this case was the adult Deer. But every battle teaches us something significant to learn and I am sure these cubs who are lacking a big leap to adulthood will surely keep their mistakes in my before putting the best foot forward for the battles to come ahead. The twilight was peaking and we retired back to the resort. It brought an end to my thrilling journey at Corbett National Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment