Thursday 13 June 2019

Stay away from madding crowds on your Holiday


So DANGEROUS to get caught in the hills amongst the madding crowds in Summer!

Even preparing for a holiday brings the entire family together, only an excuse to have a meal and a drink together. Yes, that’s how happiness starts filling the air days before one departs for the holiday.



Recently, my family and I headed out to a different hill destination, the summer heat was getting unbearable and kids’ vacations started. The idea of visiting Nainital or Mussoorie and facing the crowd, limited parking etc. was scaring the day lights out of me as I wanted to drive myself. ‘No more malls roads’ everybody said. I was happy to know everyone chose to go close to nature. My family is filled with corporate honchos, so I know how stressed and fearful they always are. They realize it themselves but this is the first time they all wanted to stay away from their laptops and wanted to spend some quality time with each other. We are five of us by the way, my parents, my elder brother and sister and all work except me. I’m still in college and not looking forward to getting out of it, considering what’s happened to my elder brother and sister. Although I’m the youngest I get to plan and book all holidays… Only book, dad pays. Searching for the perfect place was difficult – I mean - Mom, Dad, Brat Bro and my 2nd Mom - my elder sis. Too much to handle when it comes to holiday planning.

Read travel websites, online material was turned upside down and then finally we shortlisted Binsar, Naukuchiatal and Mukteshwar. All in the hill state of Uttarakhand and about 2-3 hours apart. Quick round of elimination over dinner and Naukuchiatal was rejected as it was reporting +40 Deg C during June first week and we sure were wanting some place much cooler. Binsar was sounding wonderful in all aspects but then my, ever demanding, brother was not happy as it did not have much to offer in terms of activities. I was not very happy really, had read great things about the views from Binsar. So Mukteshwar, not very far from the lake towns of Nainital and Bhimtal, say about and hour and a half drive from both lakes, was finally the hill station everybody liked. Dad was very happy about the temperature, which was showing a cool 16-28 Deg C and the height of the hill station, which was 8000 ft. Mom was gaga, even before she tasted them, about the Chocolates which were being handmade at the resort we had finally selected. My elder sis was very happy that we would be staying inside a fruit orchard as the resort, fortunately, was spread out in one and my brother, the brat that he is, was excited about the adventure activities that Mukteshwar offered like rock climbing, rappelling and trekking. Well for me, I think I was happy because everybody was happy. I was happy because finally we would be spending some great times together as a family. Forgot to mention the one thing I liked the most about this place – They had no TVs in the rooms. Sad part was that the mobiles worked here full signal but then it can’t all be great.



We stayed at this resort in Mukteshwar called MountainTrail. It was a nice place, natural, green, gave you a feel of being in the hills. I mean it had a character to it unlike regular hotels in Nainital etc. The best part about them was the personalized service, the ever-smiling staff and the great food. My mom made friends with the owners. The wife made the chocolates my mom so wanted to taste and trust you me…. If you ever visit this side of the country, don’t miss these delights, they are from heaven. The chocolate shop had some brownies as well - my favorites and they were clearly were the best I’ve ever had. There was loads that we carried back home.





So Mukteshwar is about 8-9 Hrs. from Delhi. Same Nainital Route. Although we drove but I later realized, didn’t share with my family else I would have been disowned, that the better way to travel is by train. There are three options and the best being the Shatabdi which reaches the last station, Kathgodam in under 6 hours at about 11:40am. From here Mukteshwar is about 2 Hrs drive and you get taxis easily, book in advance if you want things hassle free. This Delhi – Nainital highway was mostly impressive except a few bad patches and some dense villages en-route. The hill drive beyond Bhowali (a junction) was just wow.




Mukteshwar is known as the fruit basket of Kumaon and it truly was, nothing much was ripe for plucking but it was all there, hanging on the trees and looking wonderful, Apples, Apricots, Peaches. We were about 10-12 days before they could be actually eaten but the manager at the resort made sure we tried some from another orchard lower down in the valley. It was very thoughtful of him. Visit this cute little hill station if you’d like to just unwind, distress, spend time with your family and just chill. It’s really pretty, with dense forests, scenic views. The most spectacular sunrise where our guide even served us hot tea with Tiger Biscuits. Remember dipping these into my milk when I was much younger. Took us all down the memory lane actually. Super cute experience. The highlights for all of us were the nature walks and stream picnic. The resort packed us delicious food and hot masala tea was made at the spot. Must ask these guys to organize outdoor activities as they know their job well and it becomes a truly memorable experience.




By Ashish Kumar 

Phone : +91 8010450000
Email: info@asianadventures.in
https://linktr.ee/aatoursandlodges



No comments:

Post a Comment