Monday 16 December 2019

My Solo Travel in the Himalayas - Jageshwar


After capturing the grandeur of the Western Ghats in my a small canvas, my journey to know more about this incredible country brought me to one of the ancient villages of Uttarakhand.

Earlier Jageshwar was used as the en-route halting point for the pilgrims who headed towards the strenuous pathways of Kailash Mansarovar. But for several years the place disappeared into the world of seclusion before people started exploring new destinations.




I booked my stay at Van Serai Wellness Lodge that is situated just a kilometer before the start of this picturesque hamlet. The lodge is a reflection of the unique culture and traditions of the Kumaon people. I was impressed by the way local resources and the masonry of the villagers were employed from creating small artifacts to the beautifully carved doors and windows.




Mornings were the best part about the lodge because that's the time when I could feel the fresh mountain breeze and the smell of flowers that would fill the room with their sweet fragrance. Interestingly during my stay, I never required to set the alarm, the shaft of the lights entering through the windows was enough to wake me up. 



Living in an attic room has its many advantages, I could enjoy watching the frolic activities of the Red-billed blue magpies around the sky kissing deodar trees. In Jageshwar, one can also take pleasure in listening to the symphony of the Himalayan birds echoing in the entire village. While making my way to the lodge's cafe named 'Cafe Swayambhu,' I would always make a quick stop at the yoga and meditation room situated in the corner.



 Every day with the break of dawn I would take my camera and embark on an adventurous journey exploring this hidden valley of Uttarakhand. It is incredible to see how this the place has successfully preserved the ancient old Shiva temple that dates back to the seventh or eighth-century.



According to the locals and the temple pundits, the sanctum centrum of the place carries powerful vibrations that have been felt by many of them. I also loved the way women are given the highest status in every household. These women are like pillars who not only take care of homes they also don't shy away from providing financial support to their families at the time of crises. It shows how modern their values are despite their loose connection with the modern world. Whole new respect arose in me after noticing the people's sensitivity towards animals. Every household has adopted one animal whom they look after. Before the sunrise, the women leave their home especially to gather food for these innocent creatures. At the time of natural calamity safeguarding their cattle is of utmost importance for the villagers. I believe for the animal rights organization, this village displays a perfect example to educate people about the significance of birds and animals living on this planet.
Although my stay was brief in Jageshwar, its rich culture and values had a strong impact on me. I am looking forward to revisiting this beautiful place once again

Devyani Leo
Asian Adventures
To more information  
E: info@asianadventures.in 
M: +91 8010450000
Don’t miss joining our ‘conservation-travel’ community! Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment