Wednesday 25 December 2019

My Personal Experience in Top 5 Wildlife Sanctuaries in Kerala

From beautiful coral reefs to a huge mesh of rivers, from vast backwaters to the lush green valleys, Kerala is filled with vast topography, unlike no other Indian state. I recently visited this beautiful land to discover the serene wildlife sanctuaries and national parks of Kerala. Kerala is a tropical state with several wildlife excursions to explore. Be sure to take at least a few more days to explore the length and breadth of its wildlife.



Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary
My first flight landed at Kochi and Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary facing Vembanad Lake was my first top in the backwaters of Kerala. This bird sanctuary houses a huge number of migratory birds in the country. I spotted herons, larks, cuckoos, owls, flycatchers, and Siberian crane. I’ve had a great start to my wildlife expedition.



Eravikulam National Park
Located only 15 km from Munnar, Eravikulam National Park is a serene grassland ecosystem with beautiful rivulets lie in the Idukki district. The national park is well regarded for an endangered goat species, Nilgiri Tahr, which I managed to come across by a stream. It was really a great sight to behold when she was drinking from the stream calmly unaware of the presence of tourists. Keep in mind that the park remains closed during the calving season of these goats, i.e. from January to April.


Periyar National Park
Up next was the most exciting journey to Periyar National Park. The tiger reserve is well located in the Western Ghats, aka Thekkady. It is embraced with lush greens and is accessible all year-round. Keep in mind tourists are allowed only in limited numbers at a time. I got a little disappointed because we couldn’t find a glimpse of the tiger. But we have found peeking deer, herds of elephants, reptiles, macaques, and a lot of birds like the Malabar hornbills and kingfishers.


The boat cruise in the serene Lake Periyar was truly an unforgettable and welcoming sight when I got up close and personal to the idyllic nature. The feeling was truly spell-binding and I never wanted going back to daily hustles and bustles of metro life.

Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary
We visited Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary the very next day where we checked into a very cozy and exotic property. The sanctuary is located in the Western Ghats and receives rainy season for around 2 months. You can spot the near-extinct Giant Grizzled Squirrel in the deciduous region while trekking through the serene environs.


Silent Valley National Park
It was my last stop in the Palakkad district in the Nilgiri Mountains of Kerala and I enjoyed trekking through wildlife reserves. It is one of the best habitats for Royal Bengal Tigers. It is one of the most serene rainforest regions and is a paradise for a lot of flora and fauna species.


I finalized my memorable trip to explore the wildlife of Kerala and I finally took my flight back home to Delhi. The state is beautifully covered with biosphere reserves and forests with no lack of hotels.

E: info@asianadventures.in
M: +91 8010450000
Don’t miss joining our ‘conservation-travel’ community! Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment